Bigbury-on-Sea is the perfect holiday destination. Set within a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, it is perhaps one of the most unspoilt coastal regions of the South West of England. The village sits across Devon’s coastal footpath, the South West Coast Path, which links Bigbury to Challaborough Bay and Arymer Cove to the west, and the Avon valley to the east. Bigbury-on-Sea is a great family holiday location.
With the famous Burgh Island to enjoy and patrolled by RNLI lifeguards throughout the summer, Bigbury-on-Sea’s safe sandy beaches are well suited for family bathing and entertainment. The Island is accessed by a sand causeway. At high tide, the sea joins up around the island and access to the island is available only via a ride on the unique ‘Sea Tractor’.
Bantham Beach lies to the east beyond the Avon valley. At low tide reach the beach by wading across from Bigbury on Sea where the river meets the sea. In summer, call the pedestrian ferry by Cockleridge. Otherwise drive to Bantham via the bridge at Aveton Gifford.
From golfing to country walks, surfing to skiing, riding to cycling, there’s something for everyone to do in Bigbury-on-Sea.
Here’s a few ideas to get your adventure started…
- Activities: Ideas to whet your appetite
- Family Friendly Activities : Extra suggestions for fun filled family days.
- Visiting Burgh Island : Home to the world famous art deco Burgh Island Hotel and 14th century Pilchard Inn.
- Eating out in Bigbury-on-Sea : Local eateries, with some of our favourites!
- Places to visit : Want a day out to complete your holiday – browse local shops in Salcombe, visit the Hoe in Plymouth……
- Local Attractions : To add to the enjoyment of your holiday – from wine tasting to steam train rides…
- Places to stay : Book a break at Avocet (6 bed), Curlew (4 bed) or Tamarisk (3 bed)
- Nature Reserves and AONB : A must for every visitor, great walks, scenery and wild life
- Weather – What to Expect: Updated daily weather and tide times
- Bigbury-on-Sea Photo Gallery: Enjoy Bigbury-on-Sea’s natural beauty.