Bigbury On Sea and the surrounding area are rich in activities suitable for all tastes and abilities. Active pursuits, such as surfing, canoeing and golf are complimented by attractions such as river boat trips, woodland parks and historic architecture. Whatever your interests, you’ll find plenty of things to do in Bigbury-on-Sea and surrounding area!
Activities in the area
- Swimming – Maybe the most important activity, particularly for families, centres on the great sandy beach. There are safe areas for swimming patrolled by Lifeguards in the summer period. Good bathing can also be found at neighbouring beaches, such as Bantham. Alternatively, if the weather is grim, there is a good indoor Swimming pool at Kingsbridge.
- Surfing – All year round many Surfers and Kite Surfers are seen at the beaches of Bigbury, Bantham and Challaborough. Bantham has the longest rides and as much swell as anywhere on the south coast. The local Discovery Surf School run surfing lessons, surf hire, kayak hire, Stand up Paddle lessons/hire and surfing equipment sales.
- Walking – Sitting astride the South West Coastal path, Bigbury offers a variety of good local walking both along the coast and in the surrounding countryside. See our Suggested walks based from Bigbury on Sea
- Cycling– As well as established Local and National Cycle routes, South Devon is ideal for traffic-free cycling and exploring the beautiful Devon countryside. Whether you want tranquillity in the summer countryside or an energetic autumn break, you’ll find something to suit.
- Canoeing – Based on the River Dart at Totnes Canoeing Adventures offers guided expeditions aboard Longbow canoes. Singing Paddles at Kingsbridge and Aveton Gifford teach paddling skills and offer tours of the local estuaries in search of local wildlife. There are also exciting Sea Kayaking lessons and expeditions at Salcombe.
- Riding – Both outdoor & indoor riding facilities are on offer in the area, some with access to Dartmoor. Lessons are usually available at most Stables. Further details can be accessed on our separate ‘Horse Riding’ in South Hams area page.
- Carriage Driving – Why not take a lesson in driving a horse drawn carriage at the local equestrian centre Best Carriages.
- Golf – There are two good local golf courses, Bigbury Golf Club and Thurlestone Golf Club. Both welcome non-members and spectacular coastal and sea views can be enjoyed during your round.
- Climbing – As well as outdoor climbing on the coast and Dartmoor, Dart Rock Climbing Centre at Buckfastleigh is the home of indoor rock climbing in Devon.
- Tennis – Both grass and hard courts are open to the public at Thurlestone Golf Club .
- Skiing/Snowboarding – Plymouth Ski Centre offers skiing, snowboarding or tobogganing at the Alpine Park – as well as exciting sno-tube rides.
- Ice Skating – Plymouth Pavilions Ice Rink is the only permanent skating rink in the South West. Snow machines & disco lights transport skaters to the North Pole even in mid-summer.
- Cinema and Theatre – There are cinemas at Kingsbridge and Plymouth. There are also good local Theatres at both Plymouth and Exeter.
- Ten Pin Bowling– The Barbican at Plymouth provides a modern Ten pin bowling alley.
Activities for Families
Since Bigbury-on-Sea is a favourite family holiday destination,visit our Family Activities page for further suggestions, although many of the above activities will be suitable for children.
Note: The above links are for information only, we have not tried all these and therefore cannot recommend them.