There are many opportunities for fun family activities in and around Bigbury-on-Sea – it is an ideal location for a holiday with children.
The best family activities revolve around the beach, the island and the local countryside. Children can enjoy spending time on the beach, bathing, building sandcastles, playing games, exploring the rocks and pools etc. They can take a ride on the “Sea Tractor” and visit Burgh Island, with its exciting history of pirates and smuggling.
For the more adventurous, there is also plenty of exploring to do: enjoy the numerous walks on the island, along the Avon Estuary, along the cliffs and in the countryside.
A few additional suggestions for fun family activities:
- Visit one of the local Nature reserves
- Take a river boat trip either from Kingsbridge or Dartmouth
- Go Cycling or Horse Riding
- Join ‘Singing Paddles‘ for a Canoeing experience exploring the Avon estuary or go Sea Kayaking with South Sands Sailing at Salcombe
- Try out some surfing at the Discovery Surf School
- Ride on the Dartmouth Steam Railway
- Visit Woodlands Family Theme Park
- Visit the animals at Pennywell Farm
- Test your skills in crazy golf at the Pirates Bay Golf centre in Paignton
- Visit the Dartmoor Otters & Buckfast Butterflies as well as Buckfast Abbey near Buckfastleigh
- Visit The Art Cafe in Kingsbridge where you can take part in ceramic painting or just relax with a cup of tea or coffee